Tuesday 6 August 2013

Easy Peasy Cushions!

Thank you for all your lovely comments about my newly found drill skills, and also for noticing my applique cushions!

Brit Bee Giant Linen Star 001

I have made these cushions as class samples, for a class in the Autumn.  However, I purposely chose fabrics and colours that would match my bedroom!  Win, win!

First up is a 'nod' to Orla Kiely, on natural Irish linen.

Applique Cushion Class sample

I've seen a few of these designs around blogland and thought I'd do my own take on it!  The envelope back is quilted!

Next, are the circles on dark brown Irish linen.

Applique Cushion Class sample

I wanted to keep the quilting to a minimum on these cushions, adding to the minimalist/modern feel. The back of this one is also quilted, with an exposed, contrasting zipper.

Now we jump to the hexies on mocha Irish Linen.

Applique Cushion Class sample

I used my Sizzix to cut out the hexies, and did some shadow quilting on the front.  The back is quilted & has a giant button-hole closure.

Finally, the odd one out!!

Applique Cushion Class sample

The colours are right, but the fabrics aren't!!  I didn't have enough aqua linen, so I repurposed a cotton pillowcase.  And the fabrics I used for the apples and pears are just too busy! One day I will re-do this one, but for now it will have to do!

All the cushions are 20", and are the perfect size for throwing on to a bed!

The applique is really simple raw edge top stitch, (no need for a darning foot!) and you also learn cushion construction. A fun and satisfying project.

Applique Cushion Class (5 weeks) - starts Monday 28th October

Jxo

18 comments:

  1. I'm sure these will be a popular class once people see the samples and realise how modern they are. I like your Jude Kiely one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I lived closer I would take your class. I really need to give the applique a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love how modern they all look, and they tie in perfectly with the quilt. I bet the class will be a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm ssssoooo sorry!! I was so busy oohing and aahing over the quilt (and your drilling skills, obviously!)that I'm afraid I didn't really pay attention to your cushions. I have now rapped myself on the knuckles, and oohed and aahed properly over your VERY pretty cushions!! I'm sure your class will be a success. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE these and it's great timing as I've finally decided to sort out my own cushions of lack of and am looking everywhere for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cushions, love the fabrics too. Ooo....oh if only I could put one of those zips in!! May be I can attend a class next time I am in town!!! Have a great day Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really wish I could take your class. Love them all.
    jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cushions Jude - your bedroom is looking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thety are all gorgeous, but I think the circles and hexies are my favourites. Simple shapes, but so elegantly done that it gives them a real wow. The quilting really shines on these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are all gorgeous but I have to say the apples and pears are my favorites. Wish I lived in country and could take the class too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous new cushions, I especially love the circles one, brown and all. I must point Kerry in this direction, as she is about to mess with the brown...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love them all, especially the circles and the Orla tribute

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cushions are gorgeous- but I have a criticism... Where is the mess at the bed head?? This is totally not the look in my house!
    Just got a wide green streak going here! Jealous of the tidy!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are stunning!!!! I love them all clever lady!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So inviting! Your bed! Your class! I just wish I was a bit closer! Though maybe you are now quite relieved.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. That star quilt is soo lovely! Also loving the cushions, they're fab!! Question, where did you get your linen? I have looked everywhere and it's nowhere to be found

    ReplyDelete
  17. Go you! Four cushions. I am seriously impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo