Tuesday 23 October 2012

Block Party Sampler Quilt!

In class, I am constantly asked questions like

'how much fabric is required to make a quilt' or

'how do I calculate the sashing for X number of blocks' or

'how could I use this fabric in a quilt?'

Often I am put on the spot having to make quick doodles and calculations, working out how much fabric is required for sashing, backing, binding etc.


'I can't take any more WOFs!'

So I thought it was time to teach folks how to make these calculations for themselves (no, I'm really not rubbing my hands in glee wearing a devilish smirk on my face, honest!).

In January I'm running an 8 week course called 'How to Design, Calulate and Make your Own Quilt'.  We will be getting the squared paper & calculators out and letting our creativity loose! 

To help folks develop some block ideas for their quilts, the course will include a Block party!  Now I've never been much of a party girl!  Too much of a 'homey' me!  But invite me to a Block Party and I'll never refuse!!


For almost a year now, when I've wanted to teach myself a new block, or show a class sample, I've made it in red and aqua so that eventually I would have enough blocks gathered together to make a quilt.


So I took my stash of blocks and put them altogether into this sampler quilt for the Block Party.  Working with a simple block formation design is a really good starting place for designing your first quilt and I purposely sashed it to show folks how that works in quilt design.


Now I'll admit samplers aren't the easiest to quilt. Finding a generic pattern to suit so many different blocks is tricky. So I went with a large free motion stipple inside each block and kept the sashing unquilted. 

I'm hoping to have an improv. style quilt made for January too, for those who like to vere away from tradition!

I have folks signing up for this course already!  Let's hope I won't have their brains pickled by the end of it!

18 comments:

  1. Love the quilt. And the fresh colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely quilt. It's got that modern traditional vibe going on a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you have a smart phone - check out robert kaufman's app "quiltcalc" - its not necessarily for individual blocks but its a gret resource for your class to figure out borders/binding/backing, etc as well as how to cut the fabric to get the most pieces per yardage! it's a keeper for sure! oh, and i LOVE the quilt, I definitely have been meaning to do another sampler quilt myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I would need this course as well. So sad you are fare away :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice block quilt. I think you are smirking though as this will be maths disguised as sewing! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic idea! Super quilt too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the quilt and your idea for a class - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so want to make a sampler quilt - I love them every time I see one and yours is lovely J.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you need to sort out online classes for those that can't attend! Lol. It's a lovely lovely quilt! And a great idea for a class too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please please put me down for this! Deposit will b paid on Thursday!! Can't miss this x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great idea for a class! Your quilt will inspire all of your students too, it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You mean people PLAN their own quilt designs? I would ask the question, "how do I finish this weird Frankenstein quilt I started just because I loved the fabrics and this one block idea I once had but didn't know how to see it through?" great idea for a class! And doing the sample blocks in the same color scheme: another brilliant idea. planners! I'm amazed by them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha - I once had a customer say "I'm going to make a log cabin quilt - how much fabric do I need".
    You and I have quilt calculator apps in our brains Judith!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just gorgeous judith, you did an amazing job
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so clever, making all your blocks in the same colours and then putting them together in a quilt - good planning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clever, clever you. Quilt is gorgeous and should be inspirational to get the class all clued up on quilt math in a pleasurable way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo