Sunday 9 September 2012

Desperate Measures!

I haven't been up to much sewing this weekend.  The in-laws are over visiting with us, and we've had some lovely weather & places to visit with them!

But there are a couple of things I want to show you!

Me and my kids were recently inspired by this while on holiday during the summer:

'Patchwork' Decoupage!
We recently made a cranky old coffee table redundant in our house, and my eldest said she would have it in her room.  I suggested she give it a decoupage treatment, and this is the result!


Some of her old fashion and teen mags where put to good recycling use!

And at the same time, my middle daughter wanted to makeover her plain white Ikea desk using 2 Beano magazines & some PVA glue!


Isn't it funky! 

She said to me afterwards 'at least revising won't be so boring anymore!'.  Mmmmm, maybe this wasn't such a good move afterall!

Before I go, I want to send out a wee appeal to all you generous blogging friends on behalf of my friend and new blogger, Ruth (Simply Sew).  Ruth is having a go at EPP but as she is in the v.early stages of building up a stash, she would be grateful if you have any small pieces of red fabrics you no longer need. They only need to be 2.5"-3" square and you can send them to me if that is easier and I'll happily pass them on.  You can read more about Ruth's request here.

Many thanks in advance lovely peeps!

Hope you've had a brill weekend!

15 comments:

  1. Definitely funky decoupage. Never knew that the Beano was on the curriculum! I know that I have very little red in my stash but I will look tomorrow. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee, love it, well done girls!

    As for the red, I discovered, when diving for scraps myself this afternoon, that my collection of reds is WOEFUL! I'm going to have to remedy that at some point, but I'm afraid right now I couldn't scare up more than about 2 squares that size o.O

    ReplyDelete
  3. The girls have been busy! Love the new look desks, especially the Beano!! Spotted Minnie, one of my favourites, and The Numbskulls (I still do picture them living in my head...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. send address by private e-mail and I will send some red "bits" xx
    diane0655@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great decopage furniture! After seeing Decopatch papers I got the bug a bit and even made Chief a box and an elephant in camo. He loved it so much I did a desk tidy for him too. I'll check what red I have. I know red is a colour I don't often use. What I have is probably very Christmassy. But if I find anything I'll send it off to you. I know from doing my hexie charm quilt how difficult it is when you have a limited stash - and my stash was limited back then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great! I've been wanting to decoupage the shelves in some old furniture I've painted. IDo you have to water the PVA glue down or just apply it neat? Sorry, but any info would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! A great idea - my daughter would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool - I love decoupage. My stash is woefully low in reds as well but I shall have a look and send them to you if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that giraffe but well impressed with the furniture makeovers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you send me your address, abeange@hotmail.com your justjudedesigns one is bouncing back. Thanks for a great blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cool, Judith! What an awesome way to re-purpose a table and old mags AND make your furniture more personal. That's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those furniture makeovers are brilliant! Those girls of yours obviously have the same knack for seeing the potential in things that you do! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pity there aren't too many questions about the Beano - perhaps the history exam??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo