Sunday 12 June 2011

Mixing Old and New

This week I was given two very lovely things:

1. The most pungent-ly, gorgeous smelling lilies from my Oasis Class!  I adore fresh flowers - thank you ladies.


2. Some vintage, flowery curtains - aren't they fab!!


I make no apologies for getting excited about such a gift, and the lovely lady who rescued them from being donated to a charity shop, just for me, knew I would be ecstatic to receive them!

I would love to try my hand at making a skirt for myself, and this vintage fabric is spurring me on! 
I don't know why I love recycling fabrics so much, but I thought I'd have another rummage through my stock pile for inspiration for some lounge cushions.

You see, I used to have lots of lovely cushions and throws over my cold, leather sofas - until we got a dog!!!!

Then this happened .....



We make lots of excuses for her because she was a rescue dog, needing lots of training and TLC!  But one by one she nibbled her way through the lot.  My sofas are NAKED!  

But I have a plan!

I have put in a special request for a particular item for my birthday this year (can let you know if I get it or not in a couple of weeks) which will mean soft furnishings and Poppy can co-exist in the lounge. 

So here's my starting point:


Not v.inspiring I hear you cry!  

But I took inspiration from my love of log cabin, previous cushions I've made & this book ....

which has a lovely textured cushion featured.  


I particularly liked the corduroy element, and as I have lots of that gathered up (in the shape of trousers & skirts) that is going to be a common design feature running through the different cushions.

Here's what I've done so far:

Love the vintage-ness of this one.


Will have more to show you soon. 

7 comments:

  1. Oooh looking good - sorry, dog house in the garden, come rain or shine, she is the devil in disguise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your fabric combinations. The new pillows/cushions will be great. But I would be seriously p'd off at the dog. How do you stop it doing that?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you're doing here - that cosmo cricket fabric works so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new cushion fronts - naughty Poppy. Those curtains would make a lovely summer skirt - you'll be like one of the Von Trapps running around Belfast (not quite Salzburg) dressed in drapes!! Just kidding, I think it will look great. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the purple cushion - and I a intrigued as to what you have on your birthday wishlist - a cage for the dog perhaps?? Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got a rescue dog who chewed through everything, after trying all sorts of toys and special air freshener things with no luck we crated him. Now he is absolutely fine to be left in the house and doesn't chew!
    Those pillows are great, love the different texture that the corduroy gives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are great cushions, the corduroy is really wonderful with them! And stargazer lilies are my favourite, they smell so fresh and wonderful! Today the most wonderful zippered bag and treats were here waiting when I returned for a long out of town run - Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo